Akka communication with Python

akka

(Ignatius) #1

Hi guys,

To get right to the question: What is the best practice to bridge communication from Akka actors to Python worker instances? (or any other language, for that matter)

On a concrete level, I need use Python for AI neural network training/execution, but I’d love to use Akka with all its benefits for “everything else”, that is, for actual reliable business logic. So the aim is to have Akka instruct Python to train neural networks, and I also need to be able to request a single computation based on real-time data from python at times.

While I can conceive solutions myself, the reason why I am asking is because I’d like to find the most seamless bridge between the two (Akka/Python). In the theoretical ideal case Python would be so well integrated that adding new Python functionality that relies on data from the Actor System is almost as simple as adding another actor.

Lastly, thanks for welcoming me into the community. I’m very amazed by the beauty of Scala and Akka, and have spend my last weeks studying both intensely in parallel to my employment as software developer.

Cheers!

(Patrik Nordwall) #2

gRPC is one option, using akka-grpc on the Akka side.