Cassandra-query-journal.first-time-bucket

Hi
I am using Astra serverless Cassandra from datastax. When I deploy a service, my Astra dashboard shows millions of read request from Lagom API in just few hours. After some exploration, I found that is happening probably because of cassandra-query-journal.first-time-bucket is set to some date in 2016 by default, it has to be set to recent date.

I added following to application.conf cassandra-query-journal {
first-time-bucket = “20210522T00:45”
}
that is latest date and time at the time of deployment of service and still Astra cassandra is showing 1.3 Million Read Requests in less than 9 hours. Can you please help on right way of configuring this. I think this needs to be documented well, else it wastes lot of time and resources for developers

Thanks a lot
Manav

1 Like

Hi, it is normal if you have readsides. Akka/Lagom polls cassandra for new events. This is configured by a refresh interval, but you can also enable pub-sub notifications and increase this interval so fewer reads are happening looking for new events.

https://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-persistence-cassandra/current/events-by-tag.html#tuning-for-lower-latency