Limit to new user replies is silly (agreed; fixed?)

(Stephen Couchman) #1

Just got told I can’t reply in a thread I was trying to assist on because I’m only allowed a small number of replies as a new user.

This seems like a horrible idea for technical discussions which often involve a lot of back and forth, can someone turn that off?

(Konrad `ktoso` Malawski) #2

Thanks for reporting! Definitely not a good one… Will search settings for this option, thanks again.

There seems to be timer limits as well, I assume to battle spam bots so I’ve lowered this as well.

(Konrad `ktoso` Malawski) #3

I believe I found the settings for “limits during first day” and raised them to larger values – should not limit anyone now; thanks for reporting!

(Stephen Couchman) #4

Hmm, afraid it doesn’t seem to be entirely fixed. The particular error I see is:

You have reached the reply limit for this topic

We’re sorry, but new users are temporarily limited to 3 replies in the same topic.

Instead of adding another reply, please consider editing your previous replies, or visiting other topics.

(Konrad `ktoso` Malawski) #5

Thanks for the exact error! Definitely not one we want to uphold, diving into settings again… there’s tons of them; sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help fixing this!

(Stephen Couchman) #6

I’ll have to just hope you got them all :) Just got told by the system I’m no longer considered a new user so I can’t easily test anymore.

Thanks for chasing this down.

(Konrad `ktoso` Malawski) #7

Thanks, I tweaked some more things and also asked discourse support to help out on it.
I could not find a limit for “new users in same thread”, so maybe discourse support can help find that one.

The new user => level 1 user is based on “has opened at least 5 topics, has posted 3 messages” etc. I lowered those numbers as well so people should be quicker considered actual users, but still want to find the specific error that you stumbled upon – thanks for reporting!