Limit to new user replies is silly (agreed; fixed?)

Just got told I can’t reply in a thread I was trying to assist on because I’m only allowed a small number of replies as a new user.

This seems like a horrible idea for technical discussions which often involve a lot of back and forth, can someone turn that off?

Thanks for reporting! Definitely not a good one… Will search settings for this option, thanks again.

There seems to be timer limits as well, I assume to battle spam bots so I’ve lowered this as well.

I believe I found the settings for “limits during first day” and raised them to larger values – should not limit anyone now; thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Hmm, afraid it doesn’t seem to be entirely fixed. The particular error I see is:

You have reached the reply limit for this topic

We’re sorry, but new users are temporarily limited to 3 replies in the same topic.

Instead of adding another reply, please consider editing your previous replies, or visiting other topics.

Thanks for the exact error! Definitely not one we want to uphold, diving into settings again… there’s tons of them; sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help fixing this!

I’ll have to just hope you got them all :) Just got told by the system I’m no longer considered a new user so I can’t easily test anymore.

Thanks for chasing this down.

Thanks, I tweaked some more things and also asked discourse support to help out on it.
I could not find a limit for “new users in same thread”, so maybe discourse support can help find that one.

The new user => level 1 user is based on “has opened at least 5 topics, has posted 3 messages” etc. I lowered those numbers as well so people should be quicker considered actual users, but still want to find the specific error that you stumbled upon – thanks for reporting!