Microservices architecture in Lagom

Hi all,

I came across Lagom recently. My team was planning to build an application which will be of Microservices architecture. We initially decided to use springboot to go through with the process but recent decline of popularity of java had one of our project heads thinking whether it is wise to go ahead in java.

So, when looking for alternate ways to build that application, I happened to stumble upon Lagom framework. Now I have one major concern, it is related to the community support. Java and Spring have been around for like forever and has vast community support for every issue. Is it the same scenario with Lagom? Can we really expect Lagom to do much better compared to Springboot?

I saw that Lagom suggests using sbt for better performance compared to maven. So can we actually build the microservices in sbt? I never used it before so please excuse my ignorance.

I am just curious how improved and fast development can be if we approach to build our application in Lagom instead of Springboot.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

3 Likes

Hello,

I have been using Lagom since its beta for more than 2 years now, build two large scale microservices platform with it. My experience with it has been great so far. We built the scalable, reactive and fast microservices with it. Community support is not so great compare to Springboot but Lagom maintainers from Lightbend have been super responsive to any bugs and issues, so didn’t really see too much issues there either.
I honestly think Sprintboot also is a great framework. Its only problem for me is that I had little too much of it and it is not so exciting for me anymore… =)

Thanks,

2 Likes

Hey Lejoow, can you point out the name of the company? I’m collecting as much info as possible about Lagom and I want to pitch it to the company I’m working on. It’s been hard to find Lagom case studies.

Thanks

Hi @fredericoramos78,

Check out this use case:
https://intaxisolutions.com/

100+ lagom services (and growing), Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Kafka, AWS EKS, NodeJs (BFF)

If you need more info let me know.

Br,
Alan

1 Like

Thanks Alan, that’s a great start.

The one thing that I would they will ask me is about a success case study. Looking at Lightbend page looks like the HP success case used Lagom, but besides mentioning it there’s nothing else explain how they used it, the gains, etc.

Nonetheless, I’ll keep looking.

1 Like