Need help with eager instantiation of singletons

Hi
I need some help with eager instantiation of singletons, I have tried most of the advice from internet but still cant get it to work, not sure what I am doing wrong.
I need instatantiation after the app starts and before any requests arrive, its because the app serves request every hour or so , but the metrics module I instantiate should send the jvm metrics after starting the server. The app may not get requests till a hour or so.
I tried this:

package modules;
import stuff;
public class MetricRegistryModule extends AbstractModule {

protected void configure() {
	   bind(AppStartup.class).asEagerSingleton();
     }
}

package modules;
import stuff;
class AppStartup{
     public AppStartup(){
        Logger.debug("  should load before requests come,
                 but this gets printed only after the first request ");
     }
}

//in application.conf
play.modules.enabled += "modules.MetricRegistryModule"

and then wrote instatiation of metrics moduels in AppStartup constructor, it still this waits for the first requests and loads the module.

I also tried changing the mode from production to dev , prod , they did not work either.I am not sure if I am doing something wrong here.

application.mode=prod
%prod.application.mode=prod

application.mode=dev
%prod.application.mode=prod

Also I am using gradle as there is no choice, because the build script is too complicated for me to edit without breaking or changing entire thing to sbt, I haven’t tried sbt. But I guess the build tool should not be a problem.

Is there something new in this version of play I need to be aware of.

this only happens on prod mode. adding application.mode=prod in Development mode (i.e. calling run) won’t change the mode.
You need to run sbt runProd which will run the production mode of play and eagerly initialize your stuff.

1 Like

Is there any way for me to make it work in dev mode.

Thanks for answering, really appreciate it.

The reason I ask for running in dev is I am trying to integrate into an existing product and I am not sure I can change the build script and deply script, if I were to change the build scripts ,it brings in whole other set of problems, given I dont have access to people who wrote the scripts.

I just stumbled upon this and don’t fully understand, but maybe this is what you need? https://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.6.x/Deploying#running-a-production-server-in-place

It basically simulates prod, locally. So, easy to quickly test how prod behaves on your dev machine.