NoHostAvailableException

Hi,

Anybody what causes this and how to deal with this?

02:18:23.418 [error] com.lightbend.lagom.internal.javadsl.persistence.PersistentEntityActor [sourceThread=my-microservice-impl-application-akka.actor.default-dispatcher-16, akkaTimestamp=18:18:23.413UTC, akkaSource=akka.tcp://my-microservice-impl-application@127.0.0.1:50720/system/sharding/MyMicroserviceEntity/42/DUMMY, sourceActorSystem=my-microservice-service-impl-application] - Persistence failure when replaying events for persistenceId [MyMicroserviceEntityDUMMY]. Last known sequence number [0]
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.NoHostAvailableException: All host(s) tried for query failed (tried: /127.0.0.1:9042 (com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.UnavailableException: Not enough replicas available for query at consistency QUORUM (2 required but only 1 alive)))
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture.getDoneValue(AbstractFuture.java:503)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture.get(AbstractFuture.java:462)
        at akka.persistence.cassandra.package$$anon$1.$anonfun$run$1(package.scala:18)
        at scala.util.Try$.apply(Try.scala:209)
        at akka.persistence.cassandra.package$$anon$1.run(package.scala:18)
        at akka.dispatch.TaskInvocation.run(AbstractDispatcher.scala:40)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.NoHostAvailableException: All host(s) tried for query failed (tried: /127.0.0.1:9042 (com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.UnavailableException: Not enough replicas available for query at consistency QUORUM (2 required but only 1 alive)))
        at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler.reportNoMoreHosts(RequestHandler.java:213)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler.access$1000(RequestHandler.java:49)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler$SpeculativeExecution.findNextHostAndQuery(RequestHandler.java:277)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler$SpeculativeExecution.retry(RequestHandler.java:441)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler$SpeculativeExecution.processRetryDecision(RequestHandler.java:419)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler$SpeculativeExecution.onSet(RequestHandler.java:635)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.Connection$Dispatcher.channelRead0(Connection.java:1075)
        at com.datastax.driver.core.Connection$Dispatcher.channelRead0(Connection.java:998)
        at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105)
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362)
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348)
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340)
        at io.netty.handler.timeout.IdleStateHandler.channelRead(IdleStateHandler.java:286)
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362)
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348)
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340)
        at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:102)
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:310)
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:284)
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1434)
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:965)
        at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:163)
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:647)
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:582)
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:499)
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:461)
        at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:884)
        at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)
        ... 1 common frames omitted

Thanks,
Franz

Hi @franz,

At what scale are you running cassandra?
From the log I would say 3 (journal query consistancy set to quorum, in your case needs 2).
Check this config:
reference.conf

Br,
Alan

Log is related to replying event for building entity state so you should check write side configuration.

Thanks @aklikic. I’ve figured it out. One of my teammates configured cassandra replication for 2 but I only had one running in my local.

To fix it, I’ve moved that cassandra replication of 2 to our application.prod.conf (so that the dev application.conf is just 1).

Thanks!

@aklikic @franz : I have one question regarding Journal writes. We are testing behaviour of write-retries and read-retries of Cassandra-journal and the question is whether it works as intended in-case of NoHostavailable exceptions? We are following below test steps and we are seeing journal writes fails. [since Persistent Actor dies]

Scenario:
1)Start the application (this will cause the keyspaces to be created)
2)Send event [ which started Persistent actor]
3)Event processed and seeing data in persistence table
4)Kill cassandra
5)Send event
6) Wait for a minute and start cassandra - [write failed no data in Persistence table for new event] [seeing NoHosatAvailable exception]

Note :There is only one Caasnadra node.

What my understading is regarding write-retries is : It will try to attempt write operation in Casandra DB no.of times whatever value we set of write-retries [i.e. write-reties = 12345].
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong and provide your thoughts on this.

[ Consider me as new bie in this area :) ]

@dsheth28 when you restart the Cassandra node, is it running on the same or a different IP address and port? If the IP address changes, then it sounds like the same issue being discussed in this other topic:

and this issue:

The problem is that, when the Cassandra cluster completely shuts down and then comes back up on unknown IP addresses, the Cassandra driver is unable to reconnect without restarting.

@TimMoore After restarting Cassandra it is running on same IP address and port.

I can’t explain why you would get a NoHostAvailableException if it is trying to connect to a host that is actually available. Maybe a timing issue while it’s still starting?