Play Framework In lieu of a Java Applet?

I became interested in Play Framework because I need to encrypt a String on-line and send the encrypted String via E-Mail. If I use Java Script there is no way to obfuscate the source code and therefore my data encryption process is easily exposed.

I then started to write a Java Applet designed to do the encryption. During that process, I read about Play Framework and decided to use it in lieu of an Applet.

My question:

• Does ‘Play’ allow me to write Java code accessed by HTML which shall encrypt a given String and return an encrypted String to the HTML_EDITOR for inclusion in an E-Mail message?

• If so, is there a way to keep the encryption JAVA code secret.

BTW:
Ideally, this requirement can best be accomplished on the Server side but I am trying to avoid using a Server at this time.

Regards,
Jim Crowell…

@JimCrowell an applet would not be a secure way to do this, either, as the code and encryption key would be downloaded to the client. You’ll need to do the encryption on the server side in order to keep the key secret.

Play is a server-side framework, so it might be a good choice for you.

Tim, thanks for your response.
Sorry for the slow reply.
I injured my back and I’ve been unable to work on my project for a couple of weeks.

an applet would not be a secure way to do this, either, as the code and encryption key would be
downloaded to the client.
I thought that my applet would be packaged in a .jar file accessible by my server-side HTML marketing code. Also, the applet source code would be obfuscated prior to the .jar file build. I know obfuscating is not fool proof but the re-engineering of the applet .jar file would be IMHO too costly
[time wise] for anyone trying to pirate my less than $40. application.

Play is a server-side framework, so it might be a good choice for you.
I did not think of the play framework as a server-side process. My bad. Thanks.

I dabbled with AWS Lambda and Azure functions earlier but I gave up on them
because I think the start-up cost would be to large and un-predictable.

Regards,
Jim Crowell

Sorry to hear about your back. I hope you’re feeling better. Good luck with your project!