Play Migration from 1.x to 2.x

Hi all,
We have requirement that we need to upgrade project from play version 1.2 to 2.1 .
As goes with the project structure, currently we have 3 services running on 1.2.4 and other 6 services on 2.1.4. As mention above we want to upgrade these 1.2 services to 2.1.
As we are beginner to play we getting trouble to get information regarding to migrate play 1.x to 2.x .
Can you provide any information regarding this?
Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thank you in advance.

Play 1.x and 2.x are completely different frameworks, so there is no “migration path”.

That being said, some concepts are similar, so depending on your play 1.2.x application, a rewrite may not be that much of work.

It highly depends on how your Play 1.x app is written… does it just expose rest endpoints? does it render views? etc.

Afaik Manuel Bernhardt (@elmanu on twitter) also created a template engine for play 2.x that is compatible with the groovy templates of play 1.x, but I can’t remember the name at the moment.

Thank you very much for your suggestion @domdorn .

so here is the code I mentioned:

the code is already 5 years old and of course will not work with any current version of play… so if you have time to bring the module up-to-date, go with that… else I’d recommend to switch to twirl directly.

If you need external support for the migration, let me know. I’m available for consulting and/or coding starting in November and could help.

Thank you @domdorn . This content is useful for me.