Play Silhouette has been archived

The play authentication framework mohiva/play-silhouette - Gitter has been archived.

See: mohiva/play-silhouette - Gitter

Pretty sad because it worked really nicely! Will be interesting if it will be forked by somebody. Otherwise it would be interesting which alternatives are recommended.

I am curious if GitHub - pac4j/play-pac4j: Security library for Play framework 2 in Java and Scala: OAuth, CAS, SAML, OpenID Connect, LDAP, JWT... would be a valid replacement.

1 Like

From the maintainer in that gitter chat:

Hi, sorry for the current situation. In the last year I had no time to maintain the project. Therefore I have decided to step back as a maintainer and archive the project. The project can be forked by the community if there is an interest. The documentation is still available under the URL: https://silhouette.readme.io

It’s unfortunate the maintainer stepped down but that’s the nature of open source work. It’s too bad it couldn’t be transitioned to a new maintainer. I’ve found Auth difficult to setup in Play even with the Silhouette library but at least there was something. I hope a fork gets some momentum. Either way, I’m thankful for the library while it was around, I got a proof-of-concept working with it and it was a big help in that particular project. A lot of work went into Silhouette.