Scala 3.0 support

Hi All!

I’m planning to start a project that will be released next year. So, I decided to start it with scala 3. BTW I didn’t find any ticket for scala 3.0 in the play framework backlog(and milestones) on GitHub.

Is there any confirmed plan for Scala 3.0? If so, where can I find this documentation and planning?

Thanks,
Mohsen

8 Likes

That is a good point indeed. I was wondering the same. When will Play Framework be ported to Scala 3?

Has this effort already been started? Can we offer an extra hand on that?

Cheers,
Leo

2 Likes

Wondering the same. Any official information about play on scala3?

1 Like

Has anyone already found an answer? I am also interested in scala 3 with play framework.

I can’t speak for Lightbend since I am not working for them.
However it seems Play will support Scala 3 (but not sure when). At least there is work being done for play-json and twirl already:

Since Scala 3 supports Scala 2.x (sans macros and other unsupported features) can we not cross compile Scala 2.x Play projects until Scala 3 support lands?

Or is this not possible due to above restrictions? If so, how do you prototype a Scala 3 + Play API?

In the past Play has lagged far behind latest Scala major version (upwards of 6 months), really hope that’s not the case this time around…