The future of Lagom

As with the Play framework (see: On the future of Play Framework), I am curious what the future of Lagom will be. The issues are going up and development seems to be slowing down. I know Lightbend is now more invested in Akka Serverless, so I wonder what is in store for Lagom. It seems like it would be great for it to follow a similar path as Play and end up on https://opencollective.com/ so the community can help keep it alive, although I’m not sure if it has as many passionate non-Lightbend engineers with enough context to keep it going.

Any news on this front?

3 Likes

Our guidance to developers out there is that they should begin any new development using either Akka Platform or Akka Serverless. There is no new feature development planned currently for Lagom. Many of our customers enjoyed Lagom in the early days but began to run into too many blockers from all of the framework constraints, e.g. single DB type support.

Last year, we released many features around microservices development in the Akka Platform that made it functionally equivalent to Lagom. We also put out a documentation guide that demonstrated how to do service APIs and event sourcing/CQRS in Akka Platform (Akka Platform Guide :: Akka Platform Guide).

We are supporting Lagom customers far into the future and this includes bug fixes, technology updates and security patches. We may add functionality at some point but right now, all engineering focus is on Akka Platform and Akka Serverless, both of which encompass what Lagom was doing and are better platforms for evolving the ideas and capabilities.

From a project perspective, Lagom is very different from Play, given that Lagom has never received much community support as compared to Play. Many of our Lightbend customers have used Lagom successfully and still do. We just haven’t seen the adoption and community engagement on the Open Source side of things to warrant pursuing a path that we’ve begun with the Play Framework.

To sum things up:

• Lagom will not continue to evolve and have new features added
  • Lightbend will support our customers using Lagom for the foreseeable future
  • Lagom is not going anywhere, and can still be used by any developer
  • We are recommending that people base new projects, and if needed migrate existing projects, to the new microservices support in Akka Platform or leverage Akka Serverless
10 Likes

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense, and is in line with the news I have seen over the past year or so. It sounds like Lightbend now has a pretty formal stance on the Lagom project, I would highly suggest adding messaging of this sort to the Lagom website and GitHub project so that new integrators aren’t taken by surprise.

Definitely!

I’d be happy to walk any team through the technical details of Akka Platform/Serverless. jeremy.pollock@lightbend.com is my email.

Allow me to also add to this (I was one of the original creators of Lagom).

When we created Lagom, we had Akka, which was a powerful toolkit for distributed computing, and we had Play, which was an high productivity framework for web development focused on developer experience. There was an obvious gap in this at the time - a high productivity framework for distributed computing focused on developer experience. At the time, microservices were also all the rage, and while Play was ideal for web development, it was missing a lot of features needed for building reactive microservices - for that you had to fallback to Akka, which was more toolkit-like, gave you all the power, but not such a good developer experience, no clear guidance on how to do things.

So, we knew we needed something to fill this gap. We had three options, extend Play’s functionality, extend Akka’s functionality, or create something new that combined them both. For better or worse, and we decided to ride the microservice wave and create an entirely new framework for building microservices, based on Play with the same focus on productivity and developer experience that Play had, while leveraging Akka to provide the distributed computing and reactive principles that we believe are the foundation of a microservice architecture.

Lagom was born. Over the next few years, a few things happened.

Akka typed was in development, and this provided an opportunity to create new, more opinionated and more developer experience focused APIs in Akka itself around things like event sourcing, cluster sharding and projections. In that instance, Lagom had been an excellent proving ground for strongly typed APIs on event sourcing, and it was from this experience that akka-persistence-typed was built, as well as akka-projections and akka-cluster-typed. Alpakka also began to fill a role that some of the Lagom APIs offered. We started encouraging people to use these new more powerful, complete and widely compatible APIs that were even nicer than Lagom’s APIs given the experience we had learnt from developing Lagom itself.

gRPC became a thing. If you look at a Lagom service descriptor, and the capabilities there, and a gRPC descriptor, you’ll notice, they map almost perfectly 1:1. Both support unary, server streamed, client streamed and two way streamed calls. Both share the idea of a service with named calls. Both have the concept of a single (possibly streamed) input and output message. Their main difference was in implementation, gRPC was an entirely new protocol, Lagom service descriptors mapped down onto REST and websockets for streaming. When gRPC came around, I actually prototyped a gRPC based implementation of Lagoms services, it just worked, it was a clean mapping of features. We had also, for a long time, wanted to offer the option of rather than specifying the interfaces in code, specifying them in something like OpenAPI, and generating the code. gRPC gave us that for free, which also brought a much stronger polyglot story. In the end, we thought, why invest further in the Lagom service API, when we have gRPC that does exactly what we’ve always wanted. We instead created akka-grpc, and started pointing people towards that.

Kubernetes became a thing. The part of the Lagom story that we never quite got around to answering the way we wanted was the production story. We did deliver something called ConductR, but it never really took off, in part due to it being our own proprietary offering, when at the same time Kubernetes was rapidly becoming popular. Kubernetes offered the production experience we wanted Lagom to have, but it didn’t need Lagom, you could run Play and/or Akka apps just fine on Kubernetes, we didn’t need any special developer support like Lagom was able to provide. We started encouraging people to use Kubernetes with the Kubernetes support we had created for Akka cluster.

I think the biggest feature of Lagom that I like that hasn’t quite been solved is the development runtime - Lagom let’s you start a whole system worth of services, all able to hot reload the moment you change a file, with a single command, and you get this out of the box with no configuration or scripts or anything that you have to maintain. In some cases, this feature alone probably makes using Lagom still worthwhile today. But it’s not enough of a compelling feature for us to justify continuing the development of the whole framework. Plus, there are ways to achieve a similar thing with both Maven and sbt, albeit with a fair bit more manual configuration and/or scripts that need to be written.

So that’s a brief history of Lagom, and explains how we got to where we are today. I think Lagom played a key part in the evolution of our offerings at Lightbend, and what we set out to achieve with Lagom has largely been successful, in filling that gap between Play and Akka, both from our own efforts and in concurrent industry efforts that superseded our own.

So, my thoughts on the future of Lagom is that almost everything you can do with Lagom today, you can do with more developer friendly and powerful technologies that have largely made Lagom redundant. As Jeremy said, we’re going to continue supporting Lagom for the foreseeable future, for those that want Lagom - there is a better path forward than using Lagom itself.

17 Likes

@james thanks for the additional information. Your description matches exactly what I had seen while working in the Lightbend ecosystem, so I totally understand the shift away from Lagom.

I did want to add my appreciation for what Lagom offered, which was an opinionated and clear way to develop distributed systems that supported both API and message interfaces. Our company had already been using Play for years, and we had dabbled a bit in Akka as well, but without Lagom our choices would have been to either roll our own framework on top of something like Akka/Play, switch to a different ecosystem entirely, something like Spring Boot, or change our development paradigm all together by trying to figure out how to move our existing processes into a serverless environment. Because we are a fairly small shop without enough resources to really take on something like the latter point, and because we wanted to stick with Scala, Lagom made it easy for us to make the jump into distributed systems.

I think our first service integration was in 2018, although we had initially considered Lagom all the way back in its inception in 2016, but at the time Scala was not yet supported. It was overall a great experience as it caused us to re-think about how we design and develop our services. It was our first time with true event sourcing and CQRS and also our first time integrating our services with Kafka, Kubernetes and Akka Cluster. However, we also quickly found pain points, as the design of Lagom was intentionally restrictive in many ways, and unfortunately by the time we really had a handful of services developed and deployed, development against Lagom was already slowing.

But as you said, just as Lagom was a stepping stone for Lightbend, it will also be a stepping stone for us. Lagom had provided the guard rails we needed for our first foray into distributed systems and many new and useful design paradigms, and we now posses a lot of knowledge which we can apply to the next generation of services we build. Our intent was always to standardize around one framework which would meet our general business needs in order to create a more consistent developer experience and reduce overhead and complexity, while also designing our processes around the expectation that we will eventually support a more diverse set of polyglot services. We have not yet tried out the Akka Cloud Platform or Akka Serverless, but at least from what I’ve read a lot of the concepts will carry over.

PS: If I could go back in time, I’d probably try to generalize some of our conventions libraries (think: cross-cutting concerns like auth, testing patterns, exception handling, etc) at the Akka level instead of the Lagom level, work that will now become a higher priority. Even while we were developing those, we already knew scoping them to Lagom was short-sighted, but as you probably know it takes a lot more time and cognitive overhead to generalize things at a higher level, and so we ended up scoping a lot of them just to Lagom. This, in combination with establishing new developer workflows, will probably be the biggest hurdle for us to overcome when moving on to a new system.

4 Likes

Hello

We are using Lagom in Production and this is definitely not a good news for us too.

1. Could you please share links of sample github projects which can be used a template to start a microservice?

2. If we use Akka platform, do we have to deal with setting up akka-http or play framework with akka cluster, sharding, persistence to bring it at same level of functionality provided by Lagom ? If yes, then this is tedious and doesn’t bring a nice development experience.
    We would end up spending a lot of time in setting up a basic micro service.

3. How do we migrate from Lagom to Akka platform? Will there be some documentation?

@nikhilarora,

We don’t have a migration guide from Lagom to Akka Platform, but the Akka Platform guide is quite complete. I think that if you follow it you will be able to understand all the mechanics necessary to migrate your application.

It also provides a bootstrap template and things like cluster formation, persistence, service discovery, etc. Check it out. You will see that Akka Platform comes very close to Lagom experience with extra flexibility and power.

The Lagom documentation has a guide on how to migrate from Lagom’s PersistentEntity to Akka’s EventSourced Behavior. The piece that is missing is how to move from read-side processors to Akka Projections. That will require some mechanical code refactoring and migration of the data in the offset store table.

But please note that there is no rush in migrating it out of Lagom. As Jeremy pointed out:

We are supporting Lagom customers far into the future and this includes bug fixes, technology updates and security patches.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers

1 Like

@octonato
Thank you for the response.

1. The platform guide is for sure complete but it’s too much to absorb. You need to understand all of the modules to setup a basic microservice with CQRS+ ES which Lagom did it for you.
    If I want to start a microservice with akka-persistence, akka cluster, event-sourcing, akka streams and which should run on kubernetes then the setup is not at all straightforward.

In short, I have to spend time to bind all the toolkits to create a system which I want.

1. Could you please link the bootstrap templates? I want to have a look at them.

Thank you

It’s in the platform guide:

@nikhilarora
Sir, the nature of your inquiries and the degree of anxiety you appear to have suggests that perhaps others have done much of the technical heavy lifting in the implementation of the your Lagom services. Lagom is an great introduction to CQRS+ES with Akka components but success with it still takes understanding of the Akka platform that should make transition to Akka Typed within reach.

If this is the case I suggest collaborating among your colleagues to establish an architectural direction and a a project to deploy a small but complete example of an Akka service. If that is not the case I suggest you engage Lightbend to have one of their consultants evaluate your services and help you to do the same.

Thank you.

Well, I am not anxious. I found the platform quite interesting and you are answer is correct too. Perhaps, we would have to setup an example. Thank you.

Hi all,
Lightbend’s decision is understandable and some clarity is in any case welcome and appreciated! However, I think there’s still a bit of a gap between what Akka Platform provides and what Lagom’s users are used to out of the box, one of them being the integration with Play and the modularisation of the applications.
I think there’s still a bit of a medium-term benefit that companies could take advantage off with a relatively small investment if we refresh Lagom to take advantage of Durable State and latest Akka persistence. This would give companies a bit more time to start migrating their stack to vanilla Akka Platform or Akka Serverless, depending on use case.
As there are multiple companies using Lagom, would Lightbend be OK with making it more open and allow companies to contribute (aware this might go against the support model) considering we’re not talking about small companies.

Thanks
Srdan

Hi @schrepfler

There is nothing impeding contributions to Lagom. The project is open source and we have had many contributions from many different parts. So if a company or individual wants to improve it they are mostly welcome.

Now, managing a open source project requires time and dedication. Each PR needs to be reviewed and sometimes very carefully reviewed if considered to be intrusive or risky regarding backward compatibility and impact on existing users. In that respect, Lightbend prefers to play the role of guardian because of our engagement with our customers.

If you want to get more involved with Lagom development, please let me know. Not all core Lagom maintainers are Lightbend employees.

1 Like