Typescript with Play Framework

Because types are cool…

It seems weird that coffeescript is in all the demos for a company recently known as typesafe. I use Typescript on the frontend where possible.

sbt-typescript was maintained in two projects ArpNetworking/sbt-typescript and joost-de-vries/sbt-typescript. But neither has been updated in a long time.

I have forked and updated to the latest Typescript 3+. If you want all the niceness of types on your frontend code when using Play Framework, check out:

https://github.com/platypii/sbt-typescript

addSbtPlugin("com.github.platypii" % "sbt-typescript" % "3.7.5")

3 Likes

I wouldn’t bother with sbt plugins for doing javascript work.
I added package.json + webpack + ts-loader to my project and have full power over typescript and any other more modern frontend tech you want to use.

I created a play run webhook (which triggers webpack file watching when running play in development mode)

in foo/project/webpack.scala

import sbt._
import play.sbt.PlayRunHook
import scala.sys.process.Process

object Webpack {
  def apply(base: File): PlayRunHook = {

object WebpackProcess extends PlayRunHook {
      var process: Option[Process] = None

override def beforeStarted(): Unit = {
        process = Some(Process("npm run start", base).run)
      }

override def afterStopped(): Unit = {
        process.map(p => p.destroy())
        process = None
      }
    }
    WebpackProcess
  }
}

in foo/webpack.config.js

// to support hot reloading in development mode, files are written to sbt-web folder.
// for a production build, files are written to a folder which is configured
// to be bundled into the public assets folder.
function getOutputPath(mode) {
  const dir = (mode === 'production') ? 'target/webpack/js' : 'target/web/public/main/js';
  return path.resolve(__dirname, dir);
}

in foo/build.sbt

// add development mode run hook which starts webpack file watcher (./project/webpack.scala)
PlayKeys.playRunHooks += Webpack(baseDirectory.value)
// include webpack output js files in the public assets
Assets / unmanagedResourceDirectories += target.value / "webpack"

in foo/package.json

scripts: {
  "start": "webpack --config webpack.config.js --mode=development --watch"
}
1 Like

Do you happen to know of any projects that currently use this? I’m looking for examples of it in use but google keeps directing me back to the main project. I know there’s the example directory in your repository, but I would like to find other examples too.

I’m taking yet another approach: I work with a vanilla (React &) TypeScript project and combine it with the Play (& Scala) project when building a Docker container: https://leanpub.com/DevWebApps/