The future of Lagom

Allow me to also add to this (I was one of the original creators of Lagom).

When we created Lagom, we had Akka, which was a powerful toolkit for distributed computing, and we had Play, which was an high productivity framework for web development focused on developer experience. There was an obvious gap in this at the time - a high productivity framework for distributed computing focused on developer experience. At the time, microservices were also all the rage, and while Play was ideal for web development, it was missing a lot of features needed for building reactive microservices - for that you had to fallback to Akka, which was more toolkit-like, gave you all the power, but not such a good developer experience, no clear guidance on how to do things.

So, we knew we needed something to fill this gap. We had three options, extend Play’s functionality, extend Akka’s functionality, or create something new that combined them both. For better or worse, and we decided to ride the microservice wave and create an entirely new framework for building microservices, based on Play with the same focus on productivity and developer experience that Play had, while leveraging Akka to provide the distributed computing and reactive principles that we believe are the foundation of a microservice architecture.

Lagom was born. Over the next few years, a few things happened.

Akka typed was in development, and this provided an opportunity to create new, more opinionated and more developer experience focused APIs in Akka itself around things like event sourcing, cluster sharding and projections. In that instance, Lagom had been an excellent proving ground for strongly typed APIs on event sourcing, and it was from this experience that akka-persistence-typed was built, as well as akka-projections and akka-cluster-typed. Alpakka also began to fill a role that some of the Lagom APIs offered. We started encouraging people to use these new more powerful, complete and widely compatible APIs that were even nicer than Lagom’s APIs given the experience we had learnt from developing Lagom itself.

gRPC became a thing. If you look at a Lagom service descriptor, and the capabilities there, and a gRPC descriptor, you’ll notice, they map almost perfectly 1:1. Both support unary, server streamed, client streamed and two way streamed calls. Both share the idea of a service with named calls. Both have the concept of a single (possibly streamed) input and output message. Their main difference was in implementation, gRPC was an entirely new protocol, Lagom service descriptors mapped down onto REST and websockets for streaming. When gRPC came around, I actually prototyped a gRPC based implementation of Lagoms services, it just worked, it was a clean mapping of features. We had also, for a long time, wanted to offer the option of rather than specifying the interfaces in code, specifying them in something like OpenAPI, and generating the code. gRPC gave us that for free, which also brought a much stronger polyglot story. In the end, we thought, why invest further in the Lagom service API, when we have gRPC that does exactly what we’ve always wanted. We instead created akka-grpc, and started pointing people towards that.

Kubernetes became a thing. The part of the Lagom story that we never quite got around to answering the way we wanted was the production story. We did deliver something called ConductR, but it never really took off, in part due to it being our own proprietary offering, when at the same time Kubernetes was rapidly becoming popular. Kubernetes offered the production experience we wanted Lagom to have, but it didn’t need Lagom, you could run Play and/or Akka apps just fine on Kubernetes, we didn’t need any special developer support like Lagom was able to provide. We started encouraging people to use Kubernetes with the Kubernetes support we had created for Akka cluster.

I think the biggest feature of Lagom that I like that hasn’t quite been solved is the development runtime - Lagom let’s you start a whole system worth of services, all able to hot reload the moment you change a file, with a single command, and you get this out of the box with no configuration or scripts or anything that you have to maintain. In some cases, this feature alone probably makes using Lagom still worthwhile today. But it’s not enough of a compelling feature for us to justify continuing the development of the whole framework. Plus, there are ways to achieve a similar thing with both Maven and sbt, albeit with a fair bit more manual configuration and/or scripts that need to be written.

So that’s a brief history of Lagom, and explains how we got to where we are today. I think Lagom played a key part in the evolution of our offerings at Lightbend, and what we set out to achieve with Lagom has largely been successful, in filling that gap between Play and Akka, both from our own efforts and in concurrent industry efforts that superseded our own.

So, my thoughts on the future of Lagom is that almost everything you can do with Lagom today, you can do with more developer friendly and powerful technologies that have largely made Lagom redundant. As Jeremy said, we’re going to continue supporting Lagom for the foreseeable future, for those that want Lagom - there is a better path forward than using Lagom itself.

17 Likes